Co. B, 27th North Carolina Troops
WILLIAM P. WILSON was one of the original members of the Guilford Greys when the company organized in 1860. He served as 2nd Sergeant and later 3rd Lieutenant before being appointed by Colonel John Rogers Cooke to serve as Adjutant of the Regiment on June 1, 1862, "which office he filled with much credit to himself and regiment." He died of disease in Greensboro on or about March 3, 1863.
During a recent field project on cemetery studies, Lt. Wilson's grave was included in a mapping study at the historic First Presbyterian Church cemetery behind the Greensboro Historical Museum in Greensboro, NC. The image on the far left shows the original grave marker severely deteriorated. The image at the near left shows the replacement marker that lies at the foot of the original.
Photos courtesy of Chris Beal, April 2007